Below you will find a general agenda for our discussion format:
This class is to share skills/strategies and then dialogue about institutional change at the local governmental level
1) Definition of Civic Art:
- How it is not public art that govt typically sponsors- large public art sculptures
- How it is not socially engaged art- author centered projects using community for engagement activities.
2) What is Los Angeles County? Where is it?
- Share map of 88 incorporated cities each with its own political governance usually city councils and funding and unincorporated towns governed by county board of supervisors
- What are the county Board of Supervisors? What kind of power do they have?
3) Intro to AIR/Creative Strategist Program at LA County Department of Arts?
- County Board of Supervisors Diversity Equity and Inclusion
- Brief synopsis of each project
4) What is the process of Civic art?
- All projects began with a field scan, done a listening tour and were responsive
- Not ideologically driven
5) How does Civic art enact change?
- How is Civic Art different from activism?
6) What top four strategies we utilized in each of our projects and acknowledge the contradictory positions revealed to us through this process?
7) Break out groups: What institutions are you working in? What are some ways you can shift change? What are the challenges you face?
8) Share out thoughts on how this model can lead to system change in your institutions
Chat transcript available here